Sunday, November 13, 2011

Domicile Discussion

Hello!
Since Halloween, I have decided that I would like to buy a house for my little family by Spring 2013.  I don't yet know which neighborhoods as of yet, but I do know that I would like at least three bedrooms, and 1100 square feet.  I'm flexible with floor plans, however, my husband and I are torn between buying a cheaper fixer-upper or to buy a more expensive newer home that needs little in terms of repairs.  We of course want to save money, but we would also like to make the best decision for our future, even if that means no longer renting.
Any thoughts?  We're obviously new to this process and want to avoid the pitfalls that happen to first-time homebuyers, but because we're not in any rush to buy a house, I think we'll be able to find the location and style of house that gives us the biggest bang for our buck sometime in the next six to nine months.  In the meantime, I would welcome any advice and suggestions.  Thanks!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you buy an old house it may cost more in utilities. Some have single pain windows, not as well ventilated, and thin walls. Personally, I like the old houses, so if you have enough $ to really fix it up nice that would be worth it...and definitely you don't want an HOA. Also if you are going to buy a house, make sure it's one you want to live in for a long long time. You never know what will happen. A 3 bed at 1100 square feet might be cramped too. We live in a 1500 and it's nice, but I think I would like about 1800 to 2000. That would be ideal. And it would be cool if Christopher got a job here and then you could buy a house here...they're cheap! There is my random thoughts!

Stephanie said...

I second the HOA. They are stupid. Even the seemingly less involved $20 a month ones. Steer clear. I also second the choosing one that you could live in for a long time idea. Despite our dreams of moving they sometimes get put on delay. Heavenly Father has a different plan for us then we have for ourselves and so it's best to pick a place you can feel comfortable in in the event that that happens. AGREE AGREE AGREE. And I also second the 1800-2000 sq ft thing - although I might like my 1600 better if it was split into 3 different floors... And make sure you have it inspected before you buy. Like, seriously inspected. I am excited to hear what happens. :)